August Post-Sale & Show Social
- Just getting together! Meet at ChuckAlek Biergarten (3139 University Ave, Suite B, San Diego, CA 92104) anytime between 4:30-7:30pm. Family friendly environment and food available by Tostadas North Park. New members welcome!
Friday August 18th at 6pm: Little Shop of Horrors at the San Diego Natural History Museum!
January Repotting Social
- January 21st 10am-4pm. Winter is the perfect time to report & divide plants for the coming season. This is a great opportunity to learn new soil recipes, propagation techniques and maybe take home a couple of extra plants. If you've never done it or you're a pro, this is a fun activity to attend and a chance to socialize with more SDCPS members. Bring your own supplies. RSVP via the SDCPS FB group page.
August Social at The Horticult!
- August 27th 10am-Noon: Come hang out with other CP like-minded folks! Ryan Benoit will be hosting this event at his extraordinary digs where he and his wife Chantal Aida Gordon "eat, drink and loosen rootballs, where flora, fauna and culture intersect in unexpected ways." Please message Allyson Long for address information if interested in attending.
SDCPS Community Outreach: Afterschool Youth Garden Program (slide show)
The SDCPS has formed partnerships with community youth groups to educate and inspire school children to learn and appreciate nature through carnivorous plants!
For participation in the SDCPS show & sale please note the following guidelines and fill out the form below.
We have the room at our disposal from 7am – 6pm and the show will run from 8am – 4pm. Everyone is welcome to sell, show, or just help out. If you only have a few carnivorous plants to show, please do! This show is for novices and experts alike. The sale/show of non-carnivorous plants, goods and educational materials is also welcomed! Please fill out the participation form below; if you'd like to help out only, note that - we'll definitely find something for you to do!
Here are a few guidelines that must be followed in order to participate in either showing and/or selling plants:
1. Anyone participating, whether for sales or show and tell, must be willing to put in at least 2 hours at the table
2. You must supply your own table cover and skirt.
3. Anyone selling plants MUST be able to properly explain their care to a novice. Not everyone buying plants has experience with the plants they are interested in buying.
4. 20% of all sales will go back to the group, minimum of $10.
5. All plants must be correctly labeled, no “NO ID”. Sarracenia alata hybrid or Nepenthes ventricosa hybrid, Drosera sp, unknown Pinguicula is more than acceptable. Please print labels where possible.
6. All cuttings must be rooted and all divisions established; No selling of new cuttings or recently divided plants.
7. Each individual seller is responsible for collecting their own money.
8. Allyson will be selling T-Shirts and stickers and running a potting station; as a seller or show participant, please direct people to her.
9. If creating a display a schematic drawing of the display with every plant given a number will be required. A list of those numbers and the associated plant names shall be placed next to the display.
10. All media and water must be cleaned up by the table occupant.
11. It is encouraged to make up your own fliers, care sheets, contact / resource sheets, etc.., but not mandatory. The potting station will have general care/resource sheets available if needed.
- March Social at Pizza Port Solana Beach
- March 20th 11am-2pm: Come hang out with other CP like-minded folks!
Congrats to the IUCN for reaching their goal! As a group we made a small donation to help the cause. We hope to contribute to more carnivorous plant causes during 2016!
"Hurray! We've reached our fundraising target for carnivorous plants! Thanks to your support we can bring together the world's leading carnivorous plant experts for an assessment workshop at Kew Gardens, London, in 2016". https://support.iucnredlist.org/carnivorousplants
ICPS Seedbank Seed-Drive!
The BACPS has asked the SDCPS to join them in the 2015 ICPS Seedbank Seed-Drive. Natch Greyes has an excellent post with all the details! Be sure to visit the ICPS webpage for donating seed as well. What better gift than the gift of more plants!
"The ICPS Seed Bank survives on seeds donated by members. By donating seed to the seed bank, you benefit by obtaining credit for seed you want from the seed bank. Donating seed benefits other members of the ICPS as growing CPs from seed allows them to learn about and enjoy species they may not otherwise be able to obtain."
The Horrible Imaginings Film Festival invited the SDCPS to be part of the 2015 festivities at MOPA in Balboa Park Friday September 11th-Sunday September 13th. SDCPS members Christian Sin, Sarah Barron & Allyson Long put together a pretty spiffy (and full!) table just outside the theater entrance. Festival goers and MOPA staff not only were able to look at some awesome plants (including a mini-bog!), but were engaged by a pitcher dissection and enthusiastic answers to their questions. HUGE thank you to Christian for volunteering his time all three days and taking the lead on the Society's first public show-case opportunity!! (Horrible Imaginings' Instagram post about the SDCPS.)